A week in Kuwait

It's almost been a week in this new country and I have seen more Landrovers and BMWs (and a few Bentleys too) in the last 6 days than I have seen in my entire life - and I have stayed in GK-1 of Delhi !!

Finally there !

As I got out of the airplane - a dry - hot - negligibly humid - strong wind hit my face. The temperature was around 47 degrees - one of the hottest I have experienced. It's just the beginning of July and this is just the starting of a promising summer ! I have been drinking so much water after coming here.

The lovely Colombo Airport !

The view

The view from our new apartment is of a 8 lane road with traffic that goes at 120 km/h. And there's a host of residential complexes that you can see - all brown in color. It's as though the entire country decided to save some money, mix sand in water and use that to paint everything. All the buildings have a characteristic color ( like the buildings of Jaipur - they're all pink ) - mustard yellow, brown, sandstone like.





Observations

The size of the average vehicle is that of a Toyota Corolla - smaller cars are so very rare. The speed at which the drivers here zoom at is 120 km/h. The roads are amazing. At least the ones I saw till date. I live in Salmiya and have been to Avenues and The Gate Mall (Around 30 odd kilometers between them)
Another interesting thing to note is that there are very few 2 wheelers - occasionally you see sports bikes, but that's it - which makes sense - because if you ride in this heat - you might will melt. Fewer than the number of two wheelers are the number of ATMs. You have to drive around quite a bit to find one. I was stunned to see date trees - this is the first time I am seeing these.


Restaurants remain closed till around 6 - 7 PM in lieu of Ramadan. There's a pretty cool app called Talabat.com - very easy to use and convenient - you can order in food of all kinds. (Until we got our kitchen up and running, we used this daily)
There are several small departmental stores called 'bakala'. Language becomes a problem - many bakala store owners talk only in Arabic. Luckily, we found one owned by an Indian. Our flat caretaker (They're called 'Haris' ) is a friendly guy, but again talks only in Arabic ! Oh, and our neighbours happen to be - guess - Gujaratis !!!

Water Towers - I found these very pretty !

Shopping

Oh the malls. The grand huge malls - you can actually find people in track suits jogging the expanse of Avenues. Shopping has been an amazing experience. We visited Carrefour and I think my workout for the day was done. Buying all our electronic appliances from X-cite was another amazing experience. 2 whole floors dedicated to everything that runs on electricity - and some that doesn't need electricity.


Beautiful ceilings ! The malls are all so beautifully done up.

We also visited the Friday market ( also called the Souk-Al-Mubarakiya ) and it's unlike any market I have ever seen. The market is divided into huge pavilions - each selling second hand and new carpets, furniture, electronics, clothes and everything in between. From old paintings to kitchen utensils - everything.

Souk-Al-Mubarakiya
Souk-Al-Mubarakiya
Souk-Al-Mubarakiya
My week here has been so busy - and it's been a cocktail of emotions. Apart from staring outside at the traffic, I have been writing, reading ( this one ), watching TED videos, and looking out for jobs.

If you liked what you just saw and read, and if you want to keep up with newer blogs, follow me here - Thanks a tonne for your support !

6 comments

  1. Oh la la! Awesone photos..

    http://zigzacmania.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Shanti ! :)

      Delete
  3. Asha (smilingash4u@gmail.com)September 19, 2015

    Welcome to Kuwait... I was born and brought up there till i completed class XII and moved to Kerala to pursue my engineering in Toch . I used to stay in Abbasiya.. if you get a chance to visit there, you will find more malayalis than you find in kerala... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about Abbasiya, if I get a chance, I'll definitely wander in that area :) also, I did my engineering from TocH too ! Small world !

      Delete